Charlie Ainsbury stands as one of Australia’s most awarded and admired bartenders. He is considered a native legend of bartending in Australia. With 14 years under his belt, Charlie has worked in some of the world’s best cocktail bars including the Bayswater Brasserie, The Diamond (Vancouver), Eau de Vie (Sydney) and Bulletin Place. His varied skills have taken him around the world where has presented to and mentored younger bartenders, worked as a guest bartender in bars and hotels and helped run and judge international competitions.
Charlie co-owned This Must Be the Place, a 55-seat spritz and cocktail bar in Darlinghurst, Sydney. His bar has been widely credited as starting the Spritz and low-alcoholic cocktail trend in Australia. Their philosophy was shared internationally in 2016 with a tour of South East Asia where Charlie held presentations and masterclasses about the bar and their ethos to cities including Manila, Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong.
In previous venues, Charlie was part of the team responsible for receiving the following nominations and accolades;
• 2014 Time Out Magazine Cocktail Bar of the Year, Eau De Vie
• 2008 World’s Best Cocktail Menu Top 10, Bayswater Brasserie
• 2008 Time Out Magazine Hall of Fame award, Bayswater Brasserie
• 2015 Gourmet Traveller Best Bar, Top 3, This Must Be the Place
• 2015 Best New International Cocktail Bar Top 10, This Must Be the Place
• 2015 Time Out Magazine Best New Bar, This Must Be the Place
• 2017 Wine List of the Year Awards, 2 Wine Glasses, This Must Be the Place
• 2017 Time Out Magazine Best Cocktail Bar, This Must Be the Place
• 2017 Time Out Bar of the Year, This Must Be the Place